Sunday, March 31, 2013

Calling Their Shot

"Brogue, brogue, brogue."

"Oh, hey Sheamus. Thanks for yelling 'brogue' with the fans while beating your chest. I'm going to go ahead and duck your Brogue Kick. You know, I don't feel losing our match improves my standing as a dominant heel."

To me, I don't understand why wrestlers call out the fact they are about to hit their opponent with their finisher. I know if I were a wrestler, I wouldn't want my opponent to know I'm about to hit my finishing maneuver. However, it continues to increase in usage.

Shawn Michaels popularized the act. He is one of my all-time favorite performers, but this simple act bothers me. He would "tune up the band" by stomping his foot on the ring before hitting his patented "Sweet Chin Music." Since Michaels inspired the wrestlers of today, it occurs more often on television. I couldn't find a video of him tuning it up, but here is a montage of kicks.

Bret Hart never yelled out "Sharpshooter" before locking in his finishing hold, and that led to him becoming one of the greatest wrestlers in history. (Photo/ Katie Vanderkolk)

The aforementioned "brogue" chant began when Sheamus turned face and the WWE creative wanted the fans to cheer with the "Celtic Warrior" turned "Great White."

Zack Ryder "Woo, woo, woo's" before hitting the "Broski Boot." Calling his shot leaves little to wonder why Ryder's opponents tend to end the night with their arm raised.

There are other instances where wrestlers audibly signal their attacks, but these are the ones that stick out to me the most.

Yes, wrestling is scripted, and it is supposed to be entertainment. At the same time, it is supposed to resemble reality. Why not taunt them silently or hit them out of nowhere?

No. Randy Orton does not hit the RKO out of "nowhere." He usually smacks the mat before striking. The announcers are fed a line, and they regurgitate it.

Announcers: that's another topic in its entirety.

So, do you think wrestlers need to being more secretive with their strikes, or am I overlooking a simple act?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful when commenting. No person should second-guess posting because they don't want to be bashed. Every one has an opinion on here, just realize that not every opinion is the same. Thank you.